More than 70 years of EMG, which is also more than 70 years of continuous growth and consistent development of new markets and sales areas.
Today, EMG is a global company with more than 1000 employees. We supply our products to OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) around the world and realise turnkey solutions for end customers. Our bond with Wenden ensures we remain grounded, while our global presence safeguards our future.
EMG Elektro Mechanik GmbH was founded on 22 June 1946 as a subsidiary of Nationale Automobilgesellschaft (NAG), a wholly owned subsidiary of AEG.
It is headquartered in Wendenerhütte in southern Sauerland. The name of the town is based on the iron smelting works, which was built here in 1728.
Just like other paths, EMG Elektro Mechanik GmbH's road is marked with signposts. The first one bears the name ELDRO
®. Six employees prepare to manufacture the electrohydraulic thrusters. 25 employees were present when production began in 1947.
Expension of working opportunities
A laboratory set up in 1948 created the prerequisite for the development of new equipment designs, with which EMG conquered the market of western industrial nations. In 1949 the fields of hydrodynamic torque converters and transmissions for rail cars with diesel engines were transferred from the AEG rail department to EMG.
New products are created
The first Föttinger converter, with a transmission power of 800 HP, left the factory in 1951. In 1952 the first fully automatic shifting transmission is developed and leaves the factory. The development and production of electrohydraulic control systems is started in 1953. In 1960 EMG assumes product responsibility for the DREHMO
® actuators (which had been made since 1948) and starts series production.
Capturing the South American market
The demand for electromechanical and electrohydraulic components in the South American market is covered thanks to the formation of the majority-owned subsidiary, EMH Electromecânica e Hydráulica Ltd., in Brazil.
Entering the non-metal sector
Entry to the world of strip guiding systems with mechanical and servo components for the non-metal sector is confirmed with the acquisition of Bielefelder Servo-Technik (BST), which is known as
BST eltromat International GmbH today. BST's worldwide sales network was supplemented and enhanced by EMG's specialists.
Expansion of the global sales network
1983: Establishment of the subsidiary BST France.
Only two years later, in 1985, the BST Rockford subsidiary in the USA is next.
In 1989 the BST Japan and BST UK subsidiaries are following, in 1991 and 1992 BST Italia and a sales office in Spain are established.
EMG-ELTMA Hebezeuge is founded
Takeover of ELHY
® brakethruster department from the trust and foundation of EMG-ELTMA Hebezeuge GmbH in Oscherleben. In addition to the Western industrialised countries, EMG is now also the market leader in Eastern European countries.
BST Sayona is established as a new subsidiary in India and production starts here in 1994
Represented on all continents
Acquisition of majority shareholding in the US company Pro Mark Technologies (Chicago), which is the leading company for strip and web guiding control systems within the American market. The EMG group, including all of its subsidiaries and sales offices, is now represented throughout the world and in the most important markets.
elexis Elektroholding GmbH
BST enters the tyre market.
elexis Elektroholding GmbH is founded and takes over the shares of EMG from Daimler Benz.
elexis AG is listed on the stock market
Introduction of the profit centre organisation at EMG (
Automation and Drive Solutions).
Elexis Elektroholding GmbH starts operating as
elexis AG and, after an IPO, is listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
DREHMO GmbH is founded
Outsourcing of the department for valve actuators to DREHMO GmbH. From this point on it takes over the sales, development, distribution and service of the DREHMO
® actuators as an independent enterprise at the premises of EMG.
BST acquires Innomess GmbH in Berlin.
Further expansion of the global organisation
Establishment of the subsidiary BST Latina in Brazil.
Representative offices are established in China in 2002 and BST Servo-Technik is renamed BST International GmbH in 2003.
Merging of EMG-ELTMA with EMG
EMG-ELTMA Hebezeuge Oschersleben GmbH merges with EMG and now trades under the name EMG Elektro-Mechanik GmbH Werk Oschersleben.
Communication and information centre
EMG's cafeteria building in Wenden is converted into a communication and information centre.
elexis AG is listed in the S-DAX.
2005 - 2006
60 years of EMG
EMG Elektro Mechanik GmbH now operates under the name of EMG Automation GmbH.
EMG celebrates its 60th anniversary on 24 June 2006.
EMG Automation (Beijing) Ltd. is established in China as a distribution and service company. Establishment of "BST International Shanghai Co., Ltd." as a separate branch in China.
2008 - 2009
Growth and stability
Establishment of the distribution and service company EMG Automation Private Ltd. in India, as well as the expansion of the production area and work space in Wenden with a new production hall and an office building.
New markets - more operating facilities
EMG's Automation division offers the first solution for the hot area with its hotCAM product.
The old assembly hall in Wenden is demolished and replaced with a new, modern hall measuring 4200 m². The guardhouse is modernised and a cafeteria is opened.
Radar based furnace guiding
The Automation division develops the
EMG-Vivaldi radar-based furnace control system for strip centre measurement in the high-temperature range, which does not require any parts inside the furnace. ®
Aquiring new markets
The Automation division develops the
EMG SOLID oil layer measuring system to optimise the oiling and forming processes for the automotive and aluminium industry, among others. ®
70 years of EMG