Slab dimension / position measurement and tracking
Width, length and thickness – EMG iSCAN® is your solution for hot strands and slabs
The precise and non-contact slab dimension measurement is performed with a customer-based arrangement of laser-based sensors. Even under great heat, our sensors keep a cool head. Therefore, ideally suited for harsh environmental conditions.
From distances to slab dimensions, from casting process to reheating furnace – EMG iSCAN® is a reliable quality assurance product in a lot of conditions. Number, type and configuration of the laser-based sensors are determined on the customer-based application. Gutter formation, edge shape and off-corner cracks are examples of the influence of the casting process.
This information can be used to optimize the casting process, for instance, by change the coquille setup or the primary and secondary cooling. EMG iSCAN® is perfect suitable to display this information and to support the casting process.
For you as our customer this means:
- Length, width and thickness measurements of hot strands and slabs at high temperature range and harsh conditions
- Display of gutter formation, edge shape and off-corner cracks based on width profile measurement
- Optimization of casting process by customer, for instance, change of coquille setup or primary and secondary cooling based on slab dimension data
- Monitoring of the slab dimension to compare the measured dimensions with the slab label values to change wrong slabs regarding the furnace process management
- Calculation of a virtual rectangle to determine the optimal space requirements inside the furnace
- Position, orientation and length information before the reheating furnace for precise pushing of slabs into lifting or pusher furnaces (one long or two short slabs possible)
- Selection of laser sensors with laser safety class 2 preferred